Queen Eleanor’s Garden
Hampshire SO23 8PJ
Tucked neatly in a narrow space behind the Great Hall, is the recreation of a medieval garden. It is named after Queen Eleanor of Provence and her daughter-in-law Queen Eleanor of Castile, who may have walked in the original garden and used it as their private retreat.
In medieval times gardens offered pleasure, repose and refreshment to the senses as well as food and medicine. Queen Eleanor’s Garden is an accurate example of such a garden and features turf seats, bay hedges, a fountain and pool, tunnel arbor and many aromatic herbs and flowers of the time.
Many of the plants used in medieval gardens had symbolic meanings, representing personal or religious virtues. Holly, ivy and bay represented the ideal of faithfulness, and roses, columbine, and strawberry plants represented aspects of Christian spiritual philosophy.
Forming one side of the garden is the last remaining wall of King's House, designed by Sir Christopher Wren for Charles II in 1683. Today’s small peaceful garden oasis was opened by the Queen Mother as part of the Domesday 900 Celebrations.
Plan Your Visit
Normal opening hours are 10:00 to 17:00 hours.
Closed: 25 & 26 December.
Yes. Low ramped access and seating.
Guide dogs and assistance dogs are welcome.
Accommodation - Search & Book through Hotels.com here: External Link
Contact & Further Information
+44 (0)1962 846 476
Queen Eleanor's Garden External Link
Queen Eleanor’s Garden is situated in the city centre near the south-east Westgate archway at the top of Winchester High Street.
- By Train
The Great Hall is a 10 minute walk from Winchester Station.
- By Car
Tower Street car park is a 5 minute walk from the Great Hall. Sat Nav postcode SO23 8UJ.
Google Maps - Queen Eleanor's Garden