The 68 acres (27.4 hectares) of public parkland in the little town of Kenilworth is known as Abbey Fields.
Most of this historic town’s recreational amenities are located in this park. There is a lake, a swimming pool, café, public toilets, tennis courts, and a children’s playground. There are excellent walks along the banks of Finham Brook.
Abbey Fields is what is left of ancient farmland that once belonged to St Mary’s Abbey at Kenilworth. The park has fine views of the historic town, the castle and the Parish Church.
14th century sandstone Barn
In the park are a few visible remains of Kenilworth Abbey. A path leads from the swimming baths via the children’s playground to the 14th century sandstone Barn, now used by the Kenilworth History and Archaeology Society as a local history museum. Its walls are peppered with shot marks, perhaps from skirmishes in the Civil War in 1642.
Downstairs it also houses the Abbey Interpretation Project. It is open on Sundays and Bank Holidays in summer, with opening times posted on the door.
The ruins consist of the south wall of the Abbey Chapter House, the Tantara Archway (1361-75) of the Abbey Gatehouse and the Barn. The Gatehouse used to have a ‘Clapper Gate’ or ‘Tumbledown Stile’ in its small archway. This now resides in the Barn.
Accommodation- Search & Book through Expedia here: