Paignton Parish ChurchTorquay
Church Street
Devon TQ3 3AQ
 
 
 
The Church of England Parish Church in Paignton is dedicated to St John the Baptist with St Andrew and St Boniface. It is an extremely old church with most of its 14th century and even older fabric intact.
 
A visit to the church website gives a comprehensive guide to the medieval wonders in store for the visitor.
 
Medieval small 'dog doors'
We can see the medieval doors with their small ‘dog doors’ for ejecting nuisance dogs. There is a pre-reformation stone pulpit (a rare survivor from the 15th century).
 
Ancient Treasures
In the nave the two sandstone pillars are Norman, the remainder from 1327. In the wall recess on the north side of the nave is a stone coffin lid from a crusader’s tomb. Opposite on the southern wall is another recess containing a gruesome ‘cadaver’ tomb. Beside the south door is another rarity, a simple Norman font over 900 years old.
 
The Tower
There is so much to see inside this ancient church but do not miss inspecting the outside of the tower. Look for the notches on either side of the Norman door (c.1100) – joists were inserted in these notches for making an outdoor stage for the performance of ‘Miracle Plays’.
 
Plan Your Visit
Accommodation - Search & Book through Booking.com here:    External Link

 

 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone  +44 (0)1803 559 059
Website  Paignton Parish Church    External Link
 
Getting There
The church website has a good location map
Web: Paignton Parish Church Location map    External Link
 
Google Maps - Paignton Parish Church