Great Malvern
Priory Park
Worcestershire WR14 3DS
 

 

Part of the charm of Great Malvern is the abundance of mature trees and beautiful parks so close to the centre of town. This is no accident because when Lady Foley sold off parts of her estate in the 1800s, she stipulated that all plots around the town centre should be planted with trees.

Malvern residents are very proud of their environment and will let nothing happen to their mature trees – on several occasions public outcry has prevented the Council from cutting them down.

Priory Park is beloved by the residents and the focus of cultural and physical activities, with splendid views of the Malvern Hills.

It is a large Victorian park with an ornate bandstand, a waterfowl Lake, an enclosed children’s play area and a members bowling green. It is bordered on two sides by the Malvern Splash Leisure Complex and the Malvern Theatres.

Council House
The park covers approximately 8 acres and was formerly the gardens of Priory Mansion, built in 1874. Now called the Council House, the imposing Gothic building houses the Malvern Hills District Council offices. The mansion has been beautifully restored; civil weddings are held in the Registry Office’s newly refurbished Elgar Room, overlooking the park and Swan Pool.
 
Swan Pool
The origins of this pool are somewhat obscure. It has been suggested that it was possibly once owned by the Priory Church to provide fish for the Priory’s monks. The Priory Mansion’s builder, Alfred Speer, bought the land containing the Swan Pool c.1877 and added it to his extensive gardens. At this time it was fashionable to plant as many exotic trees as possible from other parts of the world in your garden. It is thanks to Alfred, that Priory Park is filled with beautiful trees.
 
In 1925 the gardens were given to the people of Malvern. The park has changed very little - Swan Pool remains the same as does the Broadwalk. Many of the paths still follow their original routes, and the large wooden bridge across the pool has been restored to its original condition.
 
There are always ducks on the pool but sometimes herons and kingfishers can be found in close proximity.
 
The Bandstand
The delightfully ornate bandstand was built in 1875 and is a listed building. There is nothing like relaxing in the summer sun listening to a free band recital. Bands perform each Sunday afternoon from 14:30 to 16:30 hours.
 
For more information:
 
The Playground
An enclosed children's playground occupies one corner of the park. The play equipment is suitable for use by children up to the age of 12 years old. Children under the age of 10 years should be accompanied and supervised by an adult.
 
Wood Sculpture
Next to the playground is a beautiful wooden carving, created by Tom Harvey from a tree which had to be drastically pruned. The original cedar tree was badly damaged in storm strength winds. The upper sections were so badly damaged that they had to be removed for safety reasons. The sculpture was cut from the remaining wooden trunk.
 
Tom was assisted by students from ten local schools and colleges. The sculpture was unveiled on 24th June 2009.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Tripadvisor here:
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone   +44 (0)1684 892 289
 
Getting There
Priory Park can be accessed from Grange Road, next to the Malvern Theatres.
 
- By Car
Park in the Priory Road car parks and walk up by the Malvern Splash Leisure Centre. Priory Park is on the 'Route to the Hills' from Great Malvern Station.
 
Google Map - Priory Park