St Wulstan ChurchMalverns
Wells Road
Little Malvern
Worcestershire WR14 4JL
 
 
 
St Wulstan’s Roman Catholic Church is situated on the eastern slopes of the Malvern Hills, near Little Malvern. Buried in the churchyard are
Sir Edward Elgar and his family.
 
Prior to the Reformation, religious observance was under the control of the Church of Rome. Post Reformation this all changed but some people chose to ignore the official Protestant religion and continued to follow the Church of Rome.
 
A quarter of a mile away is Little Malvern Court & Garden, originally part of a Benedictine monastery. At the Reformation, the monastery was destroyed and the adjacent Priory Church reduced to its chancel and tower. Those remains now form part of the local Anglican parish church.
 
Until the 20th century Little Malvern Court had been owned by families of the Roman Catholic faith. Initially post Reformation they practised their religion in secret. There is a secret Priest’s hole in the Court.
 
Later they built a chapel for local Catholics and by the middle of the 19th century this was becoming too small for the local Catholic congregation. In 1862, a new church, St Wulstan’s, was built nearby. It is probable that the Catholic Mass has been celebrated at Little Malvern every Sunday since the Reformation.
 
St Wulstan
The church’s patron saint was an 11th century Warwickshire scholar, He was born at Long Itchington in 1008. He studied at the monasteries in Evesham and Peterborough, and worked as a clerk at Worcester. He then studied for the priesthood and was ordained in 1038. He became a Benedictine monk at Worcester Cathedral Priory and Bishop of Worcester in 1062.
 
Wulstan was responsible for much of the rebuilding of early churches in the counties of Herefordshire, Warwickshire and Worcestershire. He founded Great Malvern Priory, and carried out large scale work at Worcester and Hereford cathedrals (Worcester’s crypt dates from his rebuilding). He encouraged the building of churches on country manors, bringing the Catholic Mass to the scattered rural population.
 
Wulstan was responsible for the abolition of the trade in slaves from Bristol to Viking Ireland. He survived the Norman Conquest to become a trusted adviser of William the Conqueror, and died in 1095 at the age of 87. Saint Wulstan was canonised in 1203.
 
St Wulstan’s Parish belongs to the Archdiocese of Birmingham and is run by Benedictine monks from Downside Abbey in Somerset. It has a small congregation drawn from the rural villages of Malvern Wells, Little Malvern, Upper Welland, Welland, Castlemorton, Birtsmorton, Hollybush, Berrow and Pendock.
 
Visitors are always welcome to attend Masses.
 
Mass Times
 
The Elgar family graves
The graves of Sir Edward Elgar and other members of the family are located at the far end of the churchyard.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Tripadvisor here: 
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone  +44 (0)1684 574 658
Mail   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 
Getting There
- By Car:   The church is situated on the eastern slopes of the Malvern Hills, just below the main Malvern to Ledbury road (A449) and 300 yards (274m) north of the junction with the road from Upton-upon-Severn (A4104).
 
Google Map - St Wulstan Church, Little Malvern