St Mary the Blessed VirginHereford
Church Lane
Herefordshire HR6 9BP
A place of worship has probably stood on the site of the present St Mary’s church since Saxon times. In the present building, the Nave was built in the 12th century and the Chancel, Vestry and South Porch were added in the 14th century.
The original Tower (of probable 15th century origin) collapsed in 1728 and was replaced by the present one in 1760.
The church has a number of interesting architectural features. The Chancel roof is 14th century of the trussed rafter type, with curved braces forming two-centred arches; the Nave roof dates from the 1864 restoration, but the 16th century tie-beam against the West wall remains and is finely carved, with a running vine ornamentation. The recesses, the sedilia, and the piscina are all 14th century.
Four of the original 12th century deep lancet windows remain, (three in the north Nave, one in the south); the others were probably replaced in the 14th century by larger windows to improve illumination. The East window of four trefoiled lights depicts the four British Patron Saints.
The Bells
The original bells vanished with the collapsed tower but St Mary’s new ring of eight bells is one of the finest in Herefordshire, attracting ringers from far and wide. A special innovation has been the installation of a glass Millennium Screen which fills the tower arch, enabling the ringers to be viewed when ringing.
In the space at the back of the church and popular with visitors, is a photographic exhibition of local scenes accompanied by familiar text or poetry.
Every Sunday (except months with five Sundays): 09:30 – 10:30. Holy Communion on the first, third and fourth Sundays.
Contact & Further Information
Rev. Julie Read.
Telephone   01568 708255
Mail   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Getting There
Follow the directions provided on this website for getting to Eardisland Village.
Google Maps - St Mary Church, Eardisland