IronbridgeSt Mary the Virgin Church
Church Road
Jackfield
Shropshire TF8 7ND
 
 
 
St Mary the Virgin, Jackfield is one of a number of churches in the Brosley Parishes in the Ironbridge Gorge. Although located in Shropshire, England, the Broseley Parishes belong to the Church of England Diocese of Hereford.
 
The parishes are on the south side of The Severn Gorge. The parishes include the little town of Broseley, the riverside community of Jackfield and the rural area to the south with its settlements of Barrow, Linley and Willey.
 
Only three of the Broseley Parishes churches operate full time - - Broseley church (All Saints Church, Broseley); Jackfield church (St Mary the Virgin) and Barrow church (St Giles Church, Barrow) – but they are all open to visitors. 
 
Open
St Mary’s is open to visitors every day from April to October.
 
This extraordinary Victorian church is well worth visiting if only to be astonished by its flamboyant choice of construction materials and whimsical design.
 
Services
1st and 3rd Sundays of the month at 09:15.
 
A Benefice service is held on the 5th Sunday, the location of which varies. For information contact the Rector on the contact below.
 
Architecture
Built in 1863, the church was designed by Sir Athur Blomfield in the French Gothic style and was built, as far as possible, with locally sourced materials. It has an ornate design with red, blue and yellow brickwork, ornamental tiles, stone carvings and a wonderful bell turret with a spire.
 
The whole building is a riot of patterns, even the roof. The circular apse at the East end has five beautiful stained glass windows depicting the Easter story. The great West window is an unusual rose window, 15 feet (4.57metres) in diameter.
 
The altarpiece is quite unique. It depicts the Calvary Scene in three panels of tiles hand painted by local people and made at Craven Dunnill. It was exhibited at the Great Paris Exhibition of 1870.
 
All the decorative figures in the stained glass and the alterpiece are of Pre-Raphaelite design.
 
The magnificent tiles on the floor of the Chancel and on the wall of the Apse are locally made and believed to have been manufactured by Maws Tileries (now Maws Craft Centre).
 
Some of the woodwork dates to the mid 1700s and was removed from an older chapel of ease. There are some exceptional examples of furniture from the 1600s. At the side of the organ is a memorial stone commemorating the life of an early iron-master Alexander Brodie II of the Calcutts Foundry which stood no more than 100 yards (91 metres) from the church.
 
Photo Gallery
The Broseley Parishes’ Rector hopes that you will enjoy the images of St Mary’s on this link  Web:  Broseley Parishes/ photo galleries
 
Genealogical Enquiries
Visitors wishing to research their family history through St Mary’s records should contact  Web: Diocesan Record Office at Shrewsbury Archives. 
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone   +44 (0)1952 882 647
This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 
Getting There
St Mary the Virgin Church is located at the end of a short dead-end street, Church Road, in the village of Jackfield.
 
Google Map - St Mary the Virgin Church, Jackfield, Shropshire