ShrewsburyBattlefield 1403 Visitor Centre
Battlefield Farm Shop
Battlefield
Shropshire SY4 3DB
 
 
The Battle of Shrewsbury is remembered as one of the bloodiest battles in English history and was fought between King Henry IV (with support from his son Henry Prince of Wales, later to become King Henry V), and the rebel Percy family of Northumberland.
 
The battlefield remains almost wholly undeveloped agricultural land although now fully enclosed as hedged fields. Access is via metalled and fenced public footpaths laid out in a circular route around the battlefield, and leading to Battlefield Church. The church and surrounding earthworks are a Scheduled Ancient Monument; a viewing mound and car park to the south has been provided.
 
Disabled Access
Yes.
 
Battlefield Church aka St Mary Magdalene
Built in 1410 at the request of Henry IV, reportedly: "...for the souls of those who fell", the church is now redundant. Although it is kept locked, a key can be obtained from the Farm Shop.
 
Each year in July a service is still held to commemorate the anniversary of the battle.
 
Access from the Farm Shop
In 2008, the Battle Exhibition Centre, Cafe, Farm Shop, Delicatessen and Butchery called ‘Battlefield 1403’ was opened in converted farm buildings just north of the registered battlefield. A Falconry Centre has recently been added to the complex, and a new permissive path leads from the centre down to the battlefield itself.
 
The Shrewsbury by-pass (A5124) crosses the very southern edge of the battlefield, from east to west, along the probable line of Henry’s deployment. Battlefield Church, which was built within a few years of the battle at the behest of King Henry ‘for the souls of those who fell’
 
Opening Hours
Monday to Saturday:   09:30 – 17:30
Sunday:                     10:00 – 16:00
 
Admission Cost
Free
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone   +44 (0)1939 210 905
Mail   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 
Getting There
- By Car
The complex is located just off the A49 at Hall's roundabout just north of Shrewsbury. The Shrewsbury by-pass (A5124) crosses the very southern edge of the battlefield.
 
Parking is free.
 
Google Map - Battlefield Visitor Centre