ShrewsburyShrewsbury Castle
Castle Street
Shropshire SY1 2AT
 
 
 
If arriving by train in the Shropshire county town of Shrewsbury, the red sandstone castle is the first thing you see as you step out of the station. This imposing structure stands on a small hill almost encircled by the River Severn.
 
The castle is owned by Shropshire Council, and managed by Shropshire Museum Service. It is licensed for Civil Ceremonies within the Thomas Telford Circular Room.
 
The castle houses the Shropshire Regimental Museum which is included in the admission cost to the castle. The castle grounds are open free to the public.
 
Within the Castle grounds is Laura's Tower. From the top there are magnificent views overlooking the townscape and surrounding countryside.
 
Opening Times & Admission Prices
The Castle has somewhat variable opening hours & admission costs
Admission free to members of the Shropshireregiments. Proof of Eligibility may be required.
 
The Castle is closed during the winter period from December 18th to February 20th to allow for essential maintenance work.
 
Disabled Access
Access to the main hall, part of the ground floor, the shop and accessible toilet facilities is via portable ramps. Manual wheelchair users will require the assistance of an able pusher to access the inclined path up to the main hall entrance.
 
A small percentage of the exhibits in the Castle are not wheelchair accessible due to the historic nature of the building.
 
Disable Badge Holders may park in the Castle grounds by prior arrangement. Assistance dogs welcome, both within the Castle and its grounds. There is a linear walk around the castle grounds which is accessible for wheelchair users although some steeper slopes may require the assistance of an able pusher.
 
Facilities
The Regimental Museum has a gift shop. There are no refreshment facilities.
 
History
Shrewsbury Castle was originally an Anglo-Saxon timber fortification, guarding the only dry-shod approach to the town. The Norman castle was founded by Roger de Montgomery in c1070.
 
During the summer of 1138 the castle was besieged by King Stephen who captured it for the Empress Maud.
 
Very little structural evidence of the Norman period survives except for the gateway. Much of it was demolished during the rebuilding and strengthening of the castle by King Edward I in c1300, when an outer bailey was also added. It was never used as a fortress after this date, and over the centuries was allowed to fall into disrepair.
 
Queen Elizabeth I gave the castle to the bailiffs and burgesses of Shrewsbury in 1586, and little was done to the building until the Civil War, when further alterations were made. It was captured by the Parliamentarians in 1645, and it was not returned to the Crown until 1660, when Charles II was restored to the throne.
 
King Charles granted the castle to Sir Francis Newport of High Ercall, Shropshire in 1663, and it remained in private hands until 1924 when it was sold to the Shropshire Horticultural Society who gave it to the town. The Corporation of Shrewsbury restored as much of the castle as possible to its 14th century appearance and opened it to the public in 1926.
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone   +44 (0)1743 358 516
Mail   This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
 
Getting There
- By Car
Car parking, including Disabled Parking is available within the town centre. The closest Long Stay Car Park is situated at Frankwell which is a 15 minute walk away. The town’s Park & Ride service drops off and collects at Castle Gates just a few meters from the Castle Entrance.
 
- By Rail
Shrewsbury’s train station is a 3 minute walk) from the Castle. For seat allocation, costs and timetable go to  Web:  National Rail Enquiries
 
- By Bus
The bus station is 220 yards (200 meters) away, approximately a 6 minute walk.
 
Google Map - Shrewsbury Castle