The old stone building is Poole’s most complete medieval domestic building and is part of Poole Museum.
It is used as a Learning Centre for Poole school children but the exterior of the building is on view to the general public throughout the year. However, in August the interior of the house is open to visitors and on certain days, re-enactments of domestic life are conducted.
Tudor Physic & Herb Garden
Hidden behind the house is a Tudor physic and herb garden which is open every summer. It is staffed by volunteers.
The history of the building is obscure but it is known that during the English Civil War in the 17th century the building was known as the ‘George Inn’. It is thought that troops were billeted here because of the initials and dates from the period scratched on the old stone fireplaces.
John Scaplen acquired the property and it was used in a marriage settlement for one of his granddaughters in 1784.
Plan Your Visit
Accommodation - Search & Book through Lastminute.com here: External Link
Contact & Further Information
+44 (0)1202 262 600