Poole QuayPoole
Dorset BH15 1HP
 
 
 

Poole Old Town joins the harbour at the Old Poole Quay, a picturesque mixture of warehouses, Georgian public buildings, narrow alleys and old pubs. It is a great spot to stroll and enjoy some refreshment while watching the never-ending activity on the harbour.

The Old Quay starts at Fisherman’s Dock where the Poole Old Lifeboat Station Museum may be visited. Opposite can be seen Brownsea Island and although there is no visible evidence, this is where Iron-Age tribes lived, fished and traded.

In medieval times the sea came right up to the end of the narrow alleyways and land has gradually been reclaimed to build the quays. Salt fish, seal oil, tar, wine, spirits and spices were stored in the warehouses. Under many of the buildings are wide storm drains which some say were used by smugglers.

Pubs & Food
At this end of the Quay are several old pubs. The Lord Nelson was built in 1764 by wine merchant Stephen Addy. In the 1920s it was a favourite haunt of artist Augustus John. The Quay Pub was formerly a 19th century warehouse and the Oriel Restaurant next door was for many years the Seamans Mission with a chapel on the first floor.
 
Probably the oldest building on this end of the quay is the Poole Arms, parts of which date back to the early 17th century. You can’t miss it, the front is tiled in distinctive green tiles made by Carters of Poole, the forerunner of the Poole Pottery. The Poole Arms is known for its fresh seafood and fish meals. This is no fish and chip pub – meals feature the local delicacies served with local fresh vegetables.
 
Cruise Boats
Numerous cruise boats and ferries leave from the wharf on trips around the harbour, to Brownsea Island and up the River Frome to Wareham. Next door to the Victorian warehouse, Hennings Wharf, is Enefco House, home to Poole Tourism's 'Welcome Centre' (Poole TIC).  An excellent place to book tour tickets and pick up a street map.
 
Poole Pottery is no longer made on the quay, but there is a Purbeck Pottery Showroom in one of the old warehouses. As you walk along the Quay you will come across the large modern sculpture ‘Sea Music’ by Sir Anthony Carro and a life-sized bronze statue of Lord Robert Baden-Powell, founder of the Scouting Movement. Opposite are the busy boatyards and workshops of Hamworthy.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Hotels.com here:     External Link
 
D-Day Invasion Connection
The U.S. Coast Guard flotilla of rescue cutters was based in Poole during the Second World War. Look out for the plaque commemorating their presence.
 
The town is very proud of the part it played in the D-Day invasion preparations. The harbour was the third largest embarkation point for US troops leaving Britain for the Normandy shores. Close to the Carro sculpture is the magnificent Custom House Restaurant and Café Bar. Originally the Customs and Excise building, it was built in 1756. It caught fire in 1813 but was reconstructed as we see it today.
 
Just behind the Custom House is Thames Street where can be found the medieval Town Cellars, Poole and opposite, the Tudor King Charles Inn, Poole reputedly the oldest pub in Poole. Inside the inn is the medieval King’s Hall, scene of a raid by the infamous Hawkhurst smuggling gang, reclaiming tea and brandy impounded in the King's cellars.
 
The Town Cellars, the warehouse and Scaplen’s Court in the High Street make up the Poole Museum. It is free and well worth visiting.
 
Thames Street leads into the heart of the Georgian Old Town. The western end of old Poole Quay ends at the approach to the Harbour Lift Bridge, the third to be built on this site.
 
A useful link is
Website   Pool Quay    External Link
 
Google Map - Poole Quay