The Wellington Arch
Hyde Park Corner
London W1J 7JZ
TfL Fare Zone 1
The arch was originally intended as a grand entrance to The Green Park which runs along the boundary of Piccadilly. It was designed by Decimus Burton (also the designer of Marble Arch) and built in 1826-28.
Burton’s arch was designed to be surmounted by a statue but was built without it. Because of the arch’s position, opposite the Duke of Wellington’s home Apsley House, it was suggested in 1838 that the arch should be surmounted by an enormous equestrian statue of the Duke. This was an artistic disaster which was rectified in 1883 when the arch was moved to its present position during road widening and the statue was removed to Aldershot.
The bronze sculpture now atop the arch was erected in 1912. The triumphant woman driving a 4-horse drawn chariot represents the Angel of Peace descending in the Chariot of War. A new equestrian statue of The Duke of Wellington on a granite plinth was erected in 1888.
The arch is now administered by English Heritage and contains a small souvenir & ice cream shop and display galleries. An excellent view looking down on Wellington Place can be obtained from the upstairs balconies just below the bronze statue.
Located in Wellington Place at Hyde Park Corner are the Australian War Memorial, the New Zealand War Memorial as well as the Royal Machine Gun Corps Memorial and the Royal Artillery Memorial.
Opening Hours & Costs
For current opening hours and costs, go to
English Heritage Members
Apsley House and the Wellington Arch offer joint ticket prices – details on the above web link.
TfL Fare Zone 1 Transport for London Journey Planner
To find the best way for getting to The Wellington Arch, visit the TfL Journey Planner.
- By Underground
Hyde Park Corner Station Piccadilly Line (Located just outside the park)
Google Maps - Wellington Place