Her Majesty’s is one of two theatres in the London Haymarket district. It is Grade II Listed but not as majestic-looking as the Theatre Royal.
The present theatre, designed by Charles Phipps, was constructed in 1897 for actor-manager Herbert Beerbohm Tree, who established the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art (RADA) at the theatre.
The theatre is built on land owned by the Crown Estate and has a long term lease. Its name changes with the gender of the reigning monarch! Her Majesty’s is one of six London theatres owned by Andrew Lloyd Weber’s Really Useful Theatre Group.
The first theatre on the site was built in 1705 by dramatist and architect, John Vanbrugh and was originally the predecessor of The Royal Opera House, now in Covent Garden. Composer George Frideric Handel premiered most of his operas and oratorios at the theatre (1710-1745).
Successive theatres on the site burned down and were rebuilt. Between 1816 and 1818, architects John Nash and George Repton made alterations to the façade of the second theatre, and increased the capacity of the auditorium to 2,500. They also added a shopping arcade, called the Royal Opera Arcade, which has survived fires and renovations and still exists. It runs along the rear of the theatre and is London’s oldest arcade.
Her Majesty’s was completely refurbished between 1992-94. The current theatre's capacity is 1,216 seats and its wide stage has made it suitable for large-scale musical productions. For over 29 years it has been home to The Phantom of the Opera.
Patrons should either Book Online using the theatre’s own link or Tel: + 44 (0)8444 124 653