Eardisley VillageHereford
Herefordshire HR 3
 
 
 
 
Not to be confused with Eardisland, another pretty ‘Black & White Trail’ village, Eardisley is located in the Wye valley in northwest Herefordshire. Just 4.5 miles (7.2 km) south of the centre of Kington, the village has a typical medieval layout.
 
It is long and narrow with half-timbered houses spread on either side of the A4111 main road. The church, the site of the castle and a farm marks the village’s southern end, and the northern end is identified by a large farm complex.
 
Fourteen of the black and white houses are mediaeval hall houses built before the early 1500s. A typical medieval hall house would probably have had the hall parallel to the road with one or two wings at the back. It was built with timber frame and wattle and daub or later, brick fill. Several of the original mediaeval halls are now divided into small houses, like 1-4 Church Road.
 
Interspersed between the half-timbering are other fine buildings like Castle House, that date from the 1700s.
 
Church of St Mary Magdalene
The 12th century Church of St Mary Magdalene is famous for its stunning font, carved in about 1150. It is a Norman work of the Herefordshire School and bears some resemblance to the carvings at Kilpeck in south Herefordshire. It combines intricate Celtic knotwork patterns with dramatic scenes, including the Harrowing of Hell and two knights fighting.
 
Walks in Eardesley
Eardesley became important in the early 19th century when it was the terminus of Hay Railway (HR), an early Welsh narrow gauge horse tramway that connected Eardisley with Watton Wharf in Brecon on the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal.
 
From 1 May 1820, the HR was joined at its Eardisley terminus, in an end on junction, by the Kington Tramway. Together, the two lines totalled 36 miles (58 km) in length, comprising the longest continuous plate way to be completed in the United Kingdom.
 
Passengers were not carried on any official basis until the HR was absorbed into the Hereford, Hay and Brecon Railway in 1860 and the line was converted to standard gauge for operation by steam locomotives in 1864. Unfortunately the line was closed in 1962 under the Dr Beeching railway rationalisation reforms.
 
The HR operated through rural areas on the borders of England and Wales and was built to transport goods and freight. Vestiges of the HR now provide a footpath immediately to the east of the village.
 
Amenities
The village has two public houses, the Tram Inn and The New Strand. The New Strand is the headquarters for both the local district Pool and Darts Leagues.
 
- The Tram Inn
This popular black and white half-timbered pub is a Free House serving a range of locally produced beverages and food. It is family owned and run, and open for business Tuesday to Saturday for both lunches and suppers, and fresh home cooked traditional roast dinners on Sundays.
 
For more information visit Entertainment/ Food & Drink on this website.
 
Eardisley Flower Show
This event is a traditional Village Show usually held on August Bank Holiday Monday. First held in 1868 the show has gone from strength to strength and now also incorporates a Fun Dog Show, Vintage Vehicles, Show Jumping and Gymkhana Classes, Children's Races, Clay Pigeon Shoot and much more.
 
You can also enjoy home made cakes and tea whilst browsing over the excellent entries in the Horticultural, Domestic and Children's Classes in the Village Hall. For more details telephone 01544 327276.
 
History
At the time of Doomsday (1086) the name of the village was 'Herdeslege', meaning a manor containing a 'defended house' in the middle of a wood. The first record of an actual castle was in the 12th century; for 500 years, that castle was held by the Baskerville family who came to England with William the Conqueror in 1066.
 
Eardisley began to thrive as a medieval rural settlement around the Castle and the Church in the early 13th century, and was granted a market and fair in about 1225. The character and shape of the village were set when long narrow tenement plots were laid out at right angles to the road running north from the castle.
 
Eardisley is well worth exploring and an information leaflet about the oldest buildings can be picked up from the church.
 
Contact & Further Information
 
Getting There
Eardisley straddles the A4111 main road to Kington.
 
Google Maps - Eardisland Village