All Saints ChurchHastings 
All Saints Street
Old Town
East Sussex TN34 3BJ. 
 
 
 

The Cinque Ports town of Hastings in south-east England was at its most powerful in the 12th and 13th centuries. It had seven churches but only two of them have survived – All Saints and St Clements. The two churches form the Old Town Parish of Hastings and services rotate between them.

 
All Saints church is at the top of All Saints Street where some of Hastings’ oldest surviving buildings can be found. Dwellings from 1450 give the visitor a good idea of what the medieval Old Town looked like.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Tripadvisor here:     External Link
 
We know All Saints was in existence in 1284 because it is mentioned as belonging to the Normandy Abbey of Frecamp. Standing on the hill beside the Old London Road, All Saints was one of the first buildings visible on entry to Hastings Old Town. It was known as the ‘Upper Church’ to distinguish it from the ‘Lower Church’ of St Clements which at that time was located on the seashore.
 
The church was damaged in the French raids of 1339 and 1377. It was slowly rebuilt between 1417 and 1430 in a design similar to St Clements. It is surrounded by a large graveyard and a number of Hastings smugglers are said to be buried in the churchyard.
 
All Saints is built of stone and flint in the Perpendicular Gothic style with chequered stone parapets. A squat tower at the west end is crenellated with a stair turret.
 
The Church is 15th Century 
Inside, the church has a nave, chancel, north and south aisles, windows and a south porch. Everything is 15th century except the porch. There is a large six-light east window glazed with Victorian stained glass. Above the chancel arch is a fine 15th century Doom painting of the Last Judgement. Christ is depicted sitting on a rainbow.
 
Father Willis Organ
The church is very lucky to have a “Father Willis” organ in perfect condition. During summer Organ Recitals on this unique 1878 organ performed by guest organists are a regular feature at the church. For details go to  Web:  Organ Recitals    External Link
 
There are a number of interesting monuments in the church including a large incised slab dated 1458, and a memorial brass to Thomas Goodenough and wife in civilian dress c.1520.
 
The bottom of the tower is open to view. It has a tierceron-star vault and 4-bay arcades with octagonal piers. The bells are change rung both at All Saints and St Clements.
 
Note from the Rector
Visitors are welcome to attend Parish services. Recent improvements to All Saints now provide a newly enclosed children's area at the back of the church which enables adults to comfortably hear the service.
 
Facilities
Toilets including disabled
Baby change facilities
Guide books/notes
hearing loop
Wheelchair ramps.
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone  +44 (0)1424 422 023 (Rev. R Featherstone)
 
Google Maps - All Saints Church Hastings