Poundbury HillDorchester
Poundbury
Dorset  DT1

 

Dorchester is surrounded by pre-historic sites. One of these to the north-west of the town centre and north of Poundbury, is Poundbury Hill fort.
 
In comparison to Maiden Castle this is a small site with earthworks dating from the Middle Bronze Age (1750–1650 BC). The banks and ditches were further strengthened in 50 BC.
 
Remains of Roman Aqueduct
In the 1st century AD when the Romans invaded Dorset and defeated the local Durotriges tribe they needed a water supply for the 2nd Legion’s fort. Water was brought 5.6 miles (9 km) via an aqueduct, the remains of which can be seen cutting through the northern and eastern sides of the Poundbury Hill fort's outer defences.
 
When the Romans built Durnovaria (Dorchester) the aqueduct provided water for the town and the public baths.
 
The water was carried in a closed wooden box-like structure supported by an earthen terrace. The reservoir was 275 feet (84 metres) above sea level and had a fall of 75 feet (23 metres) by the time it reached the town. The aqueduct was abandoned in about 160 AD, following the collapse of the reservoir dam in Frampton.
 
Places where the aqueduct was notched into the west side of the Frome river valley can still be seen, best viewed from the old Roman road at Fordington and Poundbury Hill fort.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Expedia here: 
 
Getting There
Poundbury Hill is in the west of Dorchester and is bounded by the A35 bypass, the B4150 Poundbury Road and the B3147 road to Bridport. A railway tunnel under the hill carries Brunel’s Great Western line, now known as the ‘Heart of Wessex’ Line’..
 
Google Map - Poundbury Hill