The Church House
Devon TQ13 7TA
In the centre of Widecombe-in-the-Moor hamlet is an unusual looking two-storey granite building. There is no other like it on Dartmoor. It has a lower floor roofed arcade and looks vaguely ecclesiastical.
This is The Church House, built at the same time as the church was being built, in 1540. In the 16th and 17th centuries it was used for holding ‘church ales’. These were festivities to raise funds for the church.
The building was later turned into almshouses, a school and a workhouse, before becoming the village school again in 1875. It is now the village hall and is used regularly for village events (one could say it has almost come full circle). The adjacent Sexton’s Cottage is now the National Trust Shop and Dartmoor National Park Information Point.
Plan Your Visit
Accommodation - Search & Book through Lastminute here:
Church House National Trust Widecombe-in-the-Moor Widecombe in the Moor Newton Abbot Devon South West England Great Britain GB United Kingdom UK used hold Church Ales Festivals almshouse school workhouse Hall Sexton Cottage Shop Dartmoor Park Information
Opening Dates and Times
Check the National Trust website link Web: National Trust/ Opening Times
National Trust Shop and Dartmoor National Park Information Centre.
There are no toilets at the Church House. Public toilets are available at the village car park.
There is a ramp into shop’s ground floor. There is only stair access to rest of building.
Contact & Further Information
+44 (0)1364 621 321
From Bovey Tracey on the A382, take the B3387 through Haytor Vale to Widecombe-in-the-Moor.
Google Map - The Church House