Buckland MonachorumDartmoor
Devon PL20 7NT 
 
 
 
 
Ten miles (16 km) north of Plymouth and situated just outside the western edge of Dartmoor National Park is the village of Buckland Monachorum.
 
More commonly called ‘Buckland’, it is a typical Dartmoor village - slate roofed houses cluster around the 12th century Church of St Andrew, Buckland in a wooded valley through which runs the River Walkham.
 
The village's unusual name literally means ‘land owned by the monks’ indicating that the village was owned by the monks of nearby Buckland Abbey.
 
When Sir Francis Drake bought the Abbey in 1581, Buckland’s old church became his regular place of worship. Don’t miss seeing the historic Drake Chapel in the church.
 
As well as the natural beauty of the place, it is close to the fabulous Fortescue Trust floral garden at The Garden House, Yelverton and also to the site of World War II fighter base RAF Harrowbeer Airfield, Yelverton.
 
The Drake Manor Inn at Buckland is a good place to call in for refreshments.
 
Accommodation - Search & Book through Tripadvisor here:
 
Contact & Further Information
 
Getting There
Buckland Monachorum village is not well served by public transport. There are regular bus services from Plymouth to Tavistock but local connections are few and far between.
 
Most buses to Tavistock leave from Plymouth’s Bretonside bus and coach station, post code PL4 0BG – approximately 1 mile (1.5km) from Plymouth rail station to the bus station.
 
Services from Plymouth to Tavistock are run by First Group  Web: First Group Bus Devon
 
- By Car
Take the A386 north from Plymouth towards Tavistock and at the Yelverton roundabout, head west towards Crapstone and then to Buckland Monachorum.
 
Google Map - Buckland Monachorum