Abbey Grounds Park
Gloucestershire GL7 2PP
The medieval Cotswold town of Cirencester is blessed with two lovely parks right in its heart. Just behind the Market Place and St John’s parish church is Abbey Grounds Park. The other major park is Cirencester Park, part of the Bathurst Estate.
The River Churn running through Abbey Grounds makes a delightful picnic spot and the Abbey Lake swarms with swans, other wildfowl, and the occasional angler.
There is a challenging children’s playground and during the summer the bandstand hosts local bands.
As well as the lovely shady trees and abundant greenery there are several historic monuments in the park. A thirty yard (10 metre) section of the ancient Roman city’s walls is still visible in the park.
Abbey of St Mary
The park gets its name from being the site of the very wealthy and powerful 12th century Abbey of St Mary. During the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1539 the Abbey was stripped of all its possessions and demolished. All that remains is the fine Norman Gatehouse in the north-eastern portion of the grounds and parts of the precinct wall forming the perimeter of the park. Pavers set in the grass trace the outline of the Abbey.
Accommodation - Search & Book through Agoda.com here:
There are public toilets in the park but are not always open. No café but it is only a 5 minute walk for refreshments in the centre of town.
Google Map - Abbey Grounds Park