13 Chippenhamgate Street
Monmouthshire NP25
 
 
 
This charming little 19th century garden is quite difficult to find. It is at the rear of No.18 Monnow Street and is accessed through a short underground passageway through the medieval town wall.
 
In 1802 Nelson was once again staying with his friends Lord William and Lady Emma Hamilton on a tour of the Wye Valley. They dined at the Beaufort Arms with Colonel Lindsay who suggested they retired to his nearby garden summerhouse for tea or coffee, and to spend the rest of the evening. The party accepted with alacrity and the Nelson Garden commemorates this event.
 
Open
The garden, which is leased by The Nelson Garden Preservation Trust, is owned by Lloyds Bank and is regularly open on Fridays and for Open Doors events. 14:00 – 16:00 hours.
 
Facilities
Toilets (including Disabled)
 
History
Although Colonel Lindsay’s garden disappeared long ago, the site has a long and interesting history.
 
Buried deep beneath the lawn of the walled garden are Roman and Norman remains. In the 17th century the site was a Real Tennis court which became a bowling green by 1718.
 
It then became an orchard growing exotic fruits such as peaches. To achieve a warm climate all year round, the fruit trees were trained flat (espaliered) against a heated brick wall (hypocaust). The18th-century hypocaust wall still survives in the garden and traces of the stoking chamber for it are visible in a neighbouring garden.
 
In about 1840 Horatio Nelson’s connection with the garden was commemorated with the erection of a Memorial Pavilion believed to have been designed by local architect, George Vaughan Maddox It is not known how much of the original wooden structure has survived, but "Lord Nelson's Seat" remains an attractive feature, bearing a plaque commemorating Nelson's visit.
 
In 1952 the Garden and Pavilion were made Grade II Listed Properties and The Welsh Historic Gardens Trust (WHGT) obtained a lease to look after the garden. In 2001 the WHGT Nelson Garden Preservation Trust Committee funded conservation work on the entrance tunnel, and installed a decorative iron screen to separate the garden from the adjoining Lloyds’ TSB property.
 
Regular conservation work is carried out to help the garden deliver its educational, musical and other activities. The most recent work has been repairs to the pavilion and hot wall at a cost of £56,000.
 
Getting There
Follow the directions on this website for getting to Monmouth. On arrival in the town visit the Shire Hall in Agincourt Square to pick up a street map of the town from the Monmouth Tourist Information Centre (Monmouth TIC).
 
 
51.81059
-2.71607