St Thomas Square
Overmonnow
Gwent NP25 5ES
 
 
Located in Overmonnow opposite the famous fortified 13th century Monnow Bridge and the part Norman church of St Thomas the Martyr, this traditional public house has a striking exterior sporting a large green dragon. It takes its name from the coat of arms of the Herberts, one-time Earls of Pembrokshire and Chepstow.
 
The Green Dragon is a Free House (meaning it is not tied to a particular brewery chain), and is the oldest public house in Overmonnow. Overmonnow is that part of the present town of Monmouth, which is located to the west of the River Monnow.
 
Overmonnow developed as a suburb of the town in the Middle Ages, when it was protected by a defensive moat, the Clawdd-du or "Black Dyke". This wide ditch is classified as an ancient monument and now used for drainage.
 
As well as its official name, it is sometimes called ‘Little Monmouth’ or ‘Cappers Town’.
 
Open
Daily
11:00 – 24:00 hours.
 
Music
In recent times the Green Dragon has established itself as a popular live music venue on weekend evenings, and during the Monmouth Festival it is one of the established entertainment venues.
 
Humour
There are wonderful touches of humour in this comfortable little pub. There is a quote above the servery in the public bar:
'This bar is dedicated to those souls of other days, who made drinking a pleasure and achieved contentment long before capacity. Who, whatever they drank, enjoyed it, held it, and remained ... GENTLEMEN.'
 
Both the male and female public conveniences have marvellous galleries of comic cartoons.
 
Food & Drink
A well balanced menu offers the chance to enjoy a tasty lunch in the comfortable surroundings of either the bar or lounge. While eating or drinking, note the unique plaster castings on the ceiling.
 
The regular beer served at this pub is Sharp's Doom Bar Real Ale, and one changing beer usually sourced from family and regional brewers.
 
Facilities
Lunchtime meals; Pub garden, Separate bar, Newspapers.
Camping nearby (219 yards/200 metres).
 
Past History
The pub stands on a very historic site. In 1998 an archaeological dig evaluation carried out behind the inn produced medieval finds such as cooking utensils and clay pipes dating from the 18th and 19th centuries.
 
Before 1801 the owners of the Green Dragon looked after the keys to the church and it was quite common at this time for the owners to provide visitors to the church with refreshment in their lounge rooms.
 
By the 1830s beer tokens were issued by the then landlord Thomas Powell who was followed by a long list of his family in the job of Licensee of the pub. During the 19th century a James Gwilliam was the licensee for decades.
 
Contact & Further Information
Telephone  +44 (0)1600 712 561
 
Getting There
- By Bus
Bus routes neareby.
 
 
 
51.808277
2.720715